Registered Nurse - Temporary Part Time (0.70) - Eden House Campus
Status: Open | Site: Eden House - Edmonton, Alberta | Department: Nursing | Closing Date: Sep 30, 2021
Do you love working with seniors? Are you a health care professional looking for your next growth opportunity working for a leader in seniors’ care? If you are, we would like to invite you to join our team of health professionals to provide excellence in care at our Eden House Campus. At Shepherd’s Care Foundation (SCF) person-centered care is the foundation for all we do in providing care and other human services. All persons are to be treated with dignity and respect in each and every interaction. Working for SCF requires the highest standards of personal behavior and ethics, and it is an on-going condition of employment that the Behaviour Standards, which may be amended from time-to-time, are complied with at all times.
Eden House Campus - Temporary Part Time - 54.25 Hours Bi-weekly
The Registered Nurse (RN), Registered Psychiatric Nurse (RPN), Graduate Nurse (GN) reports to the Program Manager (PM) or Director of Care (DOC). The RN/RPN/GN is accountable for the clinical leadership, coordination, communication, assessment, planning, implementation, and ongoing evaluation of individual, holistic, resident care needs, on an ongoing basis, and developing a specific care plan accordingly. A RN/RPN/GN provides support, advocacy, and choice to residents and their families to ensure the highest quality of resident focused care achievable within the Mission, Vision and Values of SCF and standards of professional nursing practice. A RN/RPN/GN demonstrates ongoing competence utilizing knowledge, skill, judgment and evidence based practice in caring for the older adult and ensures compliance with continuing care health service standards, employment and safety-related statutes, legislation, codes and regulations and SCF policies and procedures. A RN/RPN/GN provides support to the residents and families in an environment that promotes a state of wellness, independence, and person-centered care.
- Coordinates, communicates, assesses, plans, develops, implements, and evaluates all newly admitted residents and those with changing, complex, unpredictable, unstable health care needs to ensure quality care is provided utilizing a comprehensive assessment and ongoing plan of care.
- Supervises and monitors that the resident care has been assigned to appropriate, competent nursing staff including supervision of those restricted activities that are supported by SCF to be assigned to other regulated health care professionals or non-regulated health care staff.
- Demonstrates knowledge in safe, competent, ethical, clinical, evidence-based gerontology nursing practice, safe medication administration, and effective, timely documentation in accordance with organizational, legislative, and legal requirements.
- Participates in the development of plans, objectives, and strategies for care services, which are aligned with overall organizational strategic directions.
- Participates in the development, revision, and implementation of operational policies, procedures, and programs in collaboration with appropriate team members, physicians, interdisciplinary team, and other stakeholders in accordance with evidence-based practices.
- Ensures that the nursing team on the assigned unit complies with the organizational policies and procedures, continuing care health service standards, accommodation standards, and relevant legislation and regulations.
- Responds, investigates, and reviews concerns and complaints from residents, families, and staff in accordance with the concern resolution process.
- Reports and investigates unusual incidents, medication discrepancies, and critical incidents on the assigned unit to ensure immediate corrective action is implemented if appropriate.
- Reports staff performance issues to the appropriate PM or DOC and promotes a “Just Culture” environment.
- Ensures cost-effective use of resources on assigned unit.
- Promotes a safe work environment for residents, family members, employees and self. Reports unsafe conditions within the living and working environment. Takes required action to decrease the risk of injury immediately and/or notify the PM or DOC of the concern. Ensures investigation and follow up in respect to any unusual incidents, near misses, complaints, or reports of safety concerns.
- Represents and participates in professional, organizational, site, and external committees as appropriate.
- Participates in performance measurement activities to achieve continuous quality improvement.
- Maintains an ongoing program of personal learning and attends SCF mandatory education sessions in order to maintain own competence. Seeks to benefit from opportunities for professional development and continuing education.
- Promotes educational opportunities, mentorship, and leadership development for the staff.
- Acts as a mentor and coach to staff.
- Actively supports, promotes, and implements the mission, vision, values and strategic directions of SCF.
Minimum Recruitment Standards
- Registered Nurse, Registered Psychiatric Nurse, Graduate Nurse.
- Experience in gerontology preferred.
- Current membership in good standing with CARNA.
- Demonstrated skills in leadership, communication, teamwork, concern resolution process, and customer service.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong computer skills.
- MDS skills/knowledge an asset.
- Awareness of accident and injury prevention, hazard identification and control; adherence to safe work practices, and procedures.
- Demonstrated knowledge and commitment to person-centered care.
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission, vision and values of SCF.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain a Vulnerable Sector check with the City of Edmonton Police detachment and provide proof of license. Submit resume online via this posting. Apply by completing application and uploading cover letter/resume. Vulnerable Sector Check must be completed prior to start date. We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Shepherd’s Care Foundation: "Living Life in a Caring, Christian Environment"