Recreation Aide - Permanent Part Time - Barrhead
Status: Open | Site: Barrhead - Barrhead, Alberta | Department: Therapeutic Recreation | Closing Date: Jun 21, 2021
Shepherd’s Care Foundation (SCF) is a faith-based, not-for-profit organization providing quality care and accommodations to more than 1,800 seniors throughout Edmonton and Barrhead. Our seven campuses provide living options for a full spectrum of care, including independent living, supportive living, supportive living with dementia, long-term care and complex care. At SCF, person-centered care is the foundation for all we do. All persons are to be treated with dignity and respect in every interaction. Working for SCF requires the highest standards of personal behavior and ethics, and it is an on-going condition of employment that employees comply with the Behaviour Standards.
About the Recreation Aide Opportunity
Permanent Part Time - 46.5 hours biweekly - 0.6 FTE
The Recreation Aide will utilize their skills and expertise to maximize resident participation and engagement in meaningful therapeutic activities. With a passion and a genuine interest for those living with Dementia, along with expertise in music and art, the Recreation Aide provides the best possible experience for those living in our care. The ideal candidate will demonstrate empathy, understanding and enthusiasm in providing quality care and service for all residents. As a member of the Recreational Therapy team, there is an expectation of compliance with Alberta Continuing Care Health Service Standards, employment and safety standards while aligning with Shepherd’s Care Foundation policies. The Recreation Aide provides support, advocacy and choice to residents and their families and will ensure the highest quality of resident focused care is achieved within the Mission, Vision and Values of Shepherd’s Care Foundation.
- Monitors Resident response to program involvement and reports same to Recreation Therapist as requested. Reports Resident related concerns to Recreation Therapist or department manager;
- Utilizes program plan developed by Recreation Therapist to compile program content to ensure variety and complement with Resident interests to achieve desired goals/ outcomes. Effectively and efficiently manages time to ensure balance between program preparation and direct Resident care;
- Ensures that Residents are involved in identified therapeutic programs which meet the specified goals according to Resident choice. Reviews Resident assessments and life histories completed by Recreation Therapist. Leads and motivates Residents in individual or group leisure pursuits. Provides relevant information regarding Resident progress to Recreation Therapist upon request and during departmental meetings;
- Reports the need for ordering and maintenance of pertinent equipment and supplies, and preventative maintenance.
- Participates in the orientation of new staff and students;
- Contributes to development of program calendar and distributes monthly newsletter/ program calendar and birthday cards to Residents
- Monitors effectiveness of programs and resident response to same and reports concerns to Recreation Therapist;
- Documents Resident participation in daily attendance record utilizing assigned codes to communicate pertinent information as it relates to the delivery of Recreation Therapy services May document by exception on resident chart as necessary;
- Supports ongoing involvement with intergenerational community groups/agencies and where applicable, facilitates Resident involvement in community events/ groups when planning community outings using facility vehicle. Assists in seasonal and special event decorating of the facility and ensures decorative bulletin boards are updated on a regular basis.
- Certificate/Diploma in recreation therapy preferred;
- Demonstrated skills and experience in gerontology and recreation therapy;
- Previous training/ related certifications in physical activity for older adults preferred;
- Minimum of one (1) year combined experience working with the elderly/ older adults with dementia in a supportive setting preferred;
- Knowledge of computer applications preferred;
- Ability to read, write and communicate in English required;
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to motivate residents required;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with Resident/families and staff required;
- Ability to work independently and as a member of an interdisciplinary team required;
- Must be flexible in order to be involved in evening and weekend programs;
- Demonstrated skills in leadership, communication, teamwork, concern resolution process and customer service;
- Strong organizational and some computer skills are required in this position;
- Awareness of accident and injury prevention, hazard identification and control; adherence to safe work practices and procedures is essential in this position;
- Demonstrated knowledge and commitment to person-centered care;
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission, vision and values of the Shepherd’s Care Foundation is essential in this position.
Apply by completing application and uploading cover letter/resume. A Vulnerable Sector Check must be completed prior to start date. We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Shepherd’s Care Foundation is "Living Life in a Caring Christian environment"