Licensed Practical Nurse - Temporary Full Time - Vanguard
Status: Open | Site: Vanguard - Edmonton, Alberta | Department: Nursing | Closing Date: Sep 30, 2021
At Shepherd’s Care Foundation (SCF), as a faith-based not-for-profit, person-centered care is the foundation for all we do in providing care and other human services. All persons are to be treated with dignity and respect in every interaction. Working for SCF requires the highest standards of personal behavior and ethics, and it is an on-going condition of employment that employees comply with the Behaviour Standards.
Vanguard Campus - Licensed Practical Nurse - Temporary Full Time
77.5 Hours Biweekly
The Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) reports to the Clinical Supervisor or Director of Care (DoC) The LPN is responsible for the provision of personal care assistance, nursing procedures, medication administration, and the supervision of Health Care Aides (HCA) and other non-regulated health care staff and implementing the resident care plan accordingly for the group of residents assigned. The LPN provides support, advocacy, and choice to residents and their families to ensure the highest quality of resident focused care achievable within the Mission, Vision, and Values of SCF and standards of professional nursing practice. The LPN demonstrates ongoing competence utilizing knowledge, skill, judgment, and evidence based practice in caring for the older adult and ensures compliance with continuing care health service standards, employment and safety-related legislation, codes, and regulations and SCF policies and procedures. The LPN provides support to the residents and families in an environment that promotes a state of wellness, independence, and person-centered care.
- Assesses, plans, develops, implements, communicates and evaluates assigned residents to identify the changing care needs to ensure ongoing quality care is provided.
- Supervises the HCAs and other non-regulated health care staff to ensure all care provided is in accordance with the resident’s plan of care, organizational policies and procedures, continuing care health service standards, accommodation standards, and relevant legislation and regulations.
- Collaborates with the Clinical Resource Support to ensure that the resident care has been assigned to appropriate, competent nursing staff. Supervises those restricted activities that are supported by Shepherd’s Care Foundation to be assigned to HCAs and other non-regulated health care staff.
- Demonstrates knowledge in applying safe, competent, ethical, clinical evidence-based gerontology nursing practice, safe medication administration, and effective, timely documentation in accordance with organizational, legislative and legal requirements.
- Participates in the development of plans, objectives and strategies for care services, which are aligned with overall organizational strategic directions.
- Responsible for medication administration
- Participates in the development, revision and implementation of operational policies, procedures and programs in collaboration with interdisciplinary team and other stakeholders in accordance with evidence-based practices.
- Responds and reports all concerns and complaints from residents, families and staff to the RN in accordance with the concerns resolution process.
- Promotes a safe work environment for residents, family members, co-workers and self. Reports unsafe conditions within the living and working environment. Takes required action to decrease the risk of injury immediately and/or notify the Program Manager of the concern. Ensures investigation and follow up in respect to any unusual incidents, near misses, complaints or reports of safety concerns.
- Represents and participates in professional, corporate, site and external committees as appropriate.
- Participates in performance measurement activities to achieve continuous quality improvement.
- Maintains an ongoing program of personal learning and attends SCF mandatory education sessions in order to maintain own competence. Seeks to benefit from opportunities for professional development and continuing education.
- Promotes educational opportunities, mentorship and leadership development for the staff.
- Acts as a mentor and coach to staff.
- Actively supports, promotes and implements the mission, vision, values and strategic directions of the Foundation.
Minimum Recruitment Standards
- Licensed Practical Nurse, experience in gerontology, and medication administration preferred.
- Current membership in good standing with CLPNA.
- Demonstrated skills in leadership, communication, teamwork, concern resolution process, and customer service.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Computer skills.
- Awareness of accident and injury prevention, hazard identification and control; adherence to safe work practices, policy, and procedures.
- Demonstrated knowledge and commitment to person-centered care.
- Demonstrated commitment to the Mission, Vision, and Values of Shepherd’s Care Foundation.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain a Vulnerable Sector check with the City of Edmonton Police detachment and provide proof of license. Submit resume online via this posting. Apply by completing application and uploading cover letter/resume. Vulnerable Sector Check must be completed prior to start date. We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Shepherd’s Care Foundation is "Living Life in a Caring, Christian Environment"