Cook I - Permanent Part Time - 0.70 FTE - Days - Barrhead
Status: Open | Site: Barrhead - Barrhead, Alberta | Department: Accommodations | Closing Date: Oct 29, 2021
Shepherd’s Care Foundation (SCF) is a faith-based, not-for-profit organization providing quality care and accommodations to more than 1,800 seniors throughout Edmonton and Barrhead. Our seven campuses provide living options for a full spectrum of care, including independent living, supportive living, supportive living with dementia, long-term care and complex care. At SCF, person-centered care is the foundation for all we do. All persons are to be treated with dignity and respect in every interaction. Working for SCF requires the highest standards of personal behavior and ethics, and it is an on-going condition of employment that employees comply with the Behaviour Standards.
Barrhead - Cook I - Parmanent Part Time Employment
FTE 0.70 - Days - 0700 to 1515 - 54.25 hours biweekly
Under the supervision of the Program Manager, the Cook performs a full range of cooking duties requiring some judgment and independence involving the safe and efficient use of quantity and quality control techniques and following established procedures and standards, following standardized recipes production sheets and master menus. Maintains a high standard of sanitation in preparing and handling food. Coordinates meal production, quality control and quantity control. Provides service to customers; communicates information; receives, distributes, and stores goods, and performs other related duties as required and assigned.
- Prepares Food
- Prepares menu makes appropriate menu changes according to available food.
- Prepares meals according to the menu requirements.
- Prepares, cooks, and bakes food for residents, employees and visitors in a safe manner according to approved standard recipes and production sheets, producing specified quantities of meat, fish, soup vegetables and desserts for consumption as per menu schedules. Also prepares cold meats, sandwiches, griddle cakes, cooked cereals and beverages.
- Utilizes leftovers in a safe and sanitary manner in production to avoid food waste.
- Prepares food for modified consistency and therapeutic diets.
- Carves portions of meats, fish and fowl for individual servings and prepares food for the serving units. Portions serving according to menu combinations and/or special requests for residents.
- Cleans and Sanitizes
- Establishes food safety, food quality, and employee safety standards and regulations and ensures compliance.
- Cleans and sanitizes kitchen equipment and work areas used in the preparation and delivery of food.
- Performs ware washing, including pots and pans.
- Cleans and maintains kitchen and food preparation areas in accordance with health standards.
- Communicates Information Effectively
- Reports equipment and maintenance problems promptly.
- Communicates effectively with other departments, co-workers, and residents.
- Assists in the training of new employees.
- Performs Other Related Duties as Assigned and or Required
- Receives, unpacks, and stores food orders.
- Ensures proper rotation of stock.
- Schedules staff and replacements as required.
- Monitors and records inventory and stock levels and performs regular ordering.
- Adheres at all times to the Policies & Procedures outlined, and upholds the health standard regulation requirements and the OH&S Act and Legislation.
- Promote a safe environment for residents, team and self.
- Actively participates in fire drills and understands fire, WHMIS, Musculo- skeletal injury prevention, and general safety procedures.
- Demonstrate knowledge of and adhere to infection control policies and procedures.
- Attend relevant workshops, seminars and conferences and apply learning to workplace.
- Cook certificate from a recognized institution (preferred).
- Certificate in Workplace Hazardous Materials Information Systems course (preferred).
- Experienced in volume food preparation.
- Experience in nursing homes is preferred.
- 3 – 5 years of institutional cooking experience is preferred.
- 1 – 2 years of personnel management experience.
- Understanding of therapeutic diets.
- Ability to work as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
- Maintains the confidentiality of residents and company matters.
- Good written/verbal communication skills.
- Excellent ability to assess work needs, prioritize and adapt to changing routines.
- Excellent observation skills and ability to determine urgency or reportable incidents.
- Ability to work with other staff members as a team player.
Submit resume online via this posting. Vulnerable Sector Check must be completed prior to start date. Apply by completing application and uploading cover letter/resume. We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Shepherd’s Care Foundation is "Living Life in a Caring, Christian Environment"