Status: Open | Site: Millwoods - Edmonton, AB | Department: Therapy Services | Closing Date: Oct 11, 2018
Do you love working with seniors? Are you a health care professional looking for your next growth opportunity working for a leader in seniors care? If you are, we would like to talk to you about our need for health professionals to join our expanding operations. At Shepherd’s Care Foundation (SCF) person-centered care is the foundation for all we do in providing care and other human services. All persons are to be treated with dignity and respect in each and every interaction. Working for SCF requires the highest standards of personal behavior and ethics, and it is an on-going condition of employment that the Code of Conduct and Behaviour Standards.
Reporting to the Recreation Therapy/Volunteer Services Manager, the Recreation Therapist is responsible for the planning, developing, implementing, evaluating recreation therapy interventions and volunteer services for all long term care residents. Ensuring compliance with continuing care health service standards, accommodations standards, employment and safety-related statutes, legislation, codes and regulations and SCF policies, the Recreation Therapist acts as a Resident advocate and provides support to the residents and families in an environment that promotes a state of wellness, independence and person-centered care.
- Assesses, plans, develops, implements, evaluates, communicates and documents all recreation therapy interventions in accordance with the Resident’s plan of care to achieve quality resident care;
- Participates in the development of plans, objectives and strategies for care services and volunteer services which are aligned with overall organizational strategic directions;
- Participates in the development of care services and operational policies, procedures and programs in collaboration with appropriate team members, physicians, interdisciplinary team and other stakeholders;
- Plans, develops, implements, and evaluates recreation therapy in accordance with evidence-based practices;
- Ensures recreation therapy practice complies with the organizational policies and procedures, continuing care health service standards, accommodation standards, relevant legislation and regulations, accreditation standards and regional health authority requirements;
- Monitors the work activities and resources of recreation therapy assistants and volunteers;
- Responds, investigates and reviews concerns and complaints from residents, families and staff in accordance with the concern resolution process;
- Actively supports, promotes and implements the mission, vision, values and strategic directions of the Foundation.
- Degree or diploma in Recreation Administration, Recreation and Leisure Studies (Special Populations), Therapeutic Recreation (Gerontology) or related field from a recognized degree granting educational institution required;
- Professional Membership in the Alberta Therapeutic Recreation Association (ATRA)
- Minimum of two (2) years experience in geriatrics and continuing care preferred;
- Previous experience working with volunteers is preferred;
- Valid Class V driver’s license;
- Demonstrated skills in leadership, communication, teamwork, concern resolution process and customer service;
- Strong organizational and computer skills are required in this position;
- Awareness of accident and injury prevention, hazard identification and control; adherence to safe work practices and procedures is essential in this position;
- Demonstrated knowledge and commitment to person-centered care;
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission, vision and values of the Shepherd’s Care Foundation is essential in this position.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain a Vulnerable Sector check with the City of Edmonton Police detachment and provide proof of license.
Submit resume online via this posting. Apply by completing application and uploading cover letter/resume. Vulnerable Sector Check must be completed prior to start date. We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Shepherd’s Care Foundation is "Dedicated to the Celebration of Life in a Caring, Christian Environment"