Status: Open | Site: Kensington - Edmonton, AB | Department: Nursing | Closing Date: Jan 31, 2019
Reporting to the Recreation Therapist, the Recreation Attendant will utilize their skills and expertise to maximize resident participation and engagement in meaningful therapeutic activities. With a passion and a genuine interest for those living with Dementia, along with expertise in music and art, the Recreation Attendant provides the best possible experience for those living in our care. The ideal candidate will demonstrate empathy, understanding and enthusiasm in providing quality care and service for all residents. As a key member of the Recreational Therapy team, there is an expectation of compliance with Alberta Continuing Care Health Service Standards, employment and safety standards while aligning with Shepherd’s Care Foundation policies. The Recreation Attendant provides support, advocacy, and choice to residents and their families and will ensure the highest quality of resident focused care is achieved within the Mission, Vision and Values of Shepherd’s Care Foundation.
- Monitors Resident response to program involvement and reports same to Recreation Therapist as requested. Reports Resident related concerns to Recreation Therapist or department manager;
- Utilizes program plan developed by Recreation Therapist to compile program content to ensure variety and complement with Resident interests to achieve desired goals/ outcomes. Effectively and efficiently manages time to ensure balance between program preparation and direct Resident care;
- Ensures that Residents are involved in identified therapeutic programs which meet the specified goals according to Resident choice. Reviews Resident assessments and life histories completed by Recreation Therapist.
- Leads and motivates Residents in individual or group leisure pursuits.
- Provides relevant information regarding Resident progress to Recreation Therapist upon request and during departmental meetings;
- Reports the need for ordering and maintenance of pertinent equipment and supplies, and preventative maintenance.
- Contributes to development of program calendar and distributes monthly newsletter/ program calendar and birthday cards to Residents
- Monitors effectiveness of programs and resident response to same and reports concerns to Recreation Therapist;
- Revises program and menu whiteboards on all floors daily
- Documents Resident participation in daily attendance record utilizing assigned codes to communicate pertinent information as it relates to the delivery of Recreation Therapy services
- Supports ongoing involvement with intergenerational community groups/agencies and where applicable, facilitates Resident involvement in community events/ groups when planning community outings using facility vehicle.
- Assists in seasonal and special event decorating of the facility and ensures decorative bulletin boards are updated on a regular basis.
- Completion of a recognized Recreation Therapy Diploma/Certificate Program is required;
- 2+ years’ experience working with aging populations;
- Experience and training in working with individuals living with dementia is essential;
- Experience and training in the fundamentals of music and art is an asset;
- Effective ability to work well on a team;
- Experience working with those with special needs considered an asset;
- Class four driver’s license an asset or ability to obtain along is preferred;
Apply by completing application and uploading cover letter/resume. A Vulnerable Sector Check must be completed prior to start date.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Shepherd’s Care Foundation is "Dedicated to the Celebration of Life in a Caring Christian environment"