Program Manager (RN)
Status: Open | Site: Barrhead - Barrhead, AB | Department: Management | Closing Date: Sep 27, 2019
Program Manager (RN), Shepherd’s Care Foundation
(Temporary Full Time Contract Opportunity)
At Shepherd’s Care Foundation (SCF) person-centered care is the foundation for all we do in providing care and other human services. All persons are to be treated with dignity and respect in each and every interaction. Working for SCF requires the highest standards of personal behavior and ethics, and it is an on-going condition of employment that the Code of Conduct and Behaviour Standards, which may be amended from time-to-time, are complied with at all times.
Reporting to the Director of Care, the Program Manager/Site Administrator is a key member of Shepherd’s Care Foundation Management Team and is responsible for the site-wide management and organizational functions of our Barrhead Campus (42 bed supportive living facility).
This position provides leadership for the Supportive Living program while acting as a liaison for corporate initiatives, policies, procedures, operations and systems, as well as direct service delivery. The Program Manager ensures compliance with all relevant legislation, codes and regulations. In collaboration with the Director of Facilities, the position maintains operations within budgetary and fiscal requirements. While remaining compliant with Continuing Care Health Service Standards, accommodation standards, employment and safety-related statutes, legislation, codes and regulations, the Program Manager/Site Administrator supports residents in an environment that promotes a state of wellness, independence and person-centered care.
The Program Manager/Site Administrator provides overall direction and hands-on leadership in the day-to-day nursing and site operational practices while managing building staff: nursing, dietary, housekeeping, maintenance, recreation and laundry. Experience planning developing, implementing, evaluating and carrying out nursing care and other operational services while ensuring compliance with relevant standards of care and legislative and code requirements is key to success in this role.
- Administers the building operations in a manner that ensures service and care are provided in alignment with all legislative, regulatory and Shepherd’s Care Foundation (SCF) requirements.
- Handles issues with Inspection Services, Alberta Health Services and other industry groups.
- Responds to areas of non-compliance and recommendations in consultation with staff and the Director of Care.
- Ensures resident services and department operations comply with the Continuing Care Health Service Standards, Accommodation standards, relevant legislation and regulations, accreditation standards and regional health authority requirements.
- Provides clinical support to staff and supports the site in meeting clinical regulatory requirements to ensure delivery of resident centered care based on individualized care plans.
- Creates and upholds good relations with community stakeholders. Establishes strong relationships with external stakeholders including local physicians, hospitals, Case Managers and other professionals.
- Builds strong partnership with the Shepherd’s Care Chaplaincy group. Assists with the implementation of Chaplaincy services within the building.
- Ensures all staff are knowledgeable of Resident Rights and Responsibilities, assisting staff to respect and promote same.
- Participates in the investigation all critical homecare and supportive housing incidents utilizing the “root cause analysis process” to ensure corrective action is implemented.
- Selects, orients, and retains qualified staff for positions with the building. Monitors the performance of staff and conducts annual performance appraisals. Promotes a positive team spirit within the department and the building.
- Regularly monitors and analyzes the effectiveness of all components of service and care, initiating corrective action as required.
- Develops and institutes a thorough building safety program which will include updating safe job procedures and provision for a job hazard observation process. Ensure adherence by all staff.
- Monitors Employee adherence to all Occupational Health and Safety policies and procedures and promotes safe work practices for self and others.
- Ensures that all reported staff workplace injuries/illnesses are treated promptly and documented according to policy, and ensures transportation for treatment of critical injury is arranged. Monitors programs, procedures and controls to minimize preventable absenteeism and reduce Workers’ Compensation costs.
- Meets with residents/family to resolve problems, concerns, complaints and reviews suggestions on a needs be basis. Communicates regularly with the residents and their families through the monthly newsletter.
- Ensures the fair and equitable treatment of all employees in line with Shepherd’s Care Foundation policies, and government legislation as applicable.
- Represents Shepherd’s Care Foundation to various relevant community, and service organizations.
- Actively supports, promotes and implements the mission, vision, values and strategic directions of the Foundation.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Registered Nurse with current membership in good standing with CARNA. Gerontology Certificate is preferred.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible work experience at a supervisory or management level in long term care or related field. A combination of education and experience in gerontology, dementia care, nursing administration, long term care, assisted living or equivalent will considered.
- Demonstrated skills in leadership, communication, teamwork, performance management, concern resolution process and customer service.
- Initiative and the ability to work independently to resolve issues
- An innate drive and ambition to work through change and ambiguity by reframing
- Able to identify opportunities for improvement and achieve results in the best interests of the resident, the family, the facility and the organization.
- A collaborative supervision and management style with demonstrated competence in delegation and creating an empowered team.
- Strong organizational, computer and presentation skills.
- Awareness of accident and injury prevention, hazard identification and control; adherence to safe work practices and procedures is essential in this position.
- Demonstrated knowledge and commitment to person-centered care.
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission, vision and values of the Shepherd’s Care Foundation is essential in this position.
- Some travel necessary between SCF sites and committee involvement.
Please note: The successful applicant will be required to obtain a clear vulnerable sector check and provide proof of licensure.
Submit resume online via this posting. Apply by completing application and uploading cover letter/resume.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Shepherd’s Care Foundation is "Living Life in a Caring, Christian Environment"