Maintenance Worker Level I
Status: Open | Site: Millwoods - Edmonton, AB | Department: Maintenance | Closing Date: Jun 25, 2018
Location: Edmonton, alternate between Millwoods and Kensington Village campus
In accordance with Shepherd’s Care Foundation philosophy and mission statement the Maintenance Worker Level I reports to the Maintenance Supervisor. The Maintenance Worker Level I performs maintenance duties and upkeep of existing residential and service areas.
Job Status Permanent full time (37.75 hours per week)
Performs minor equipment and structural repairs to walls, ceiling, and flooring, including, touch up painting of door frames, replacement of damaged parts or components of faulty electrical fixtures, cover plates, duplex receptacles, light bulbs and ballasts. Replacement of damaged or faulty plumbing fixtures such as defective washers in taps, ballcock units float assemblies, flapper valves flush levers, toilet tanks and bowls. Other duties include auguring of plugged sewer lines, cleaning and changing filters, and drain traps. Responsible for hanging or relocating signs, pictures, etc., in resident rooms and service areas
- Maintains building accessibility and appearance by removing ice and snow from walkways and parking areas, maintaining lawn and surrounding landscape, cleaning maintenance areas, collects and transports trash to disposal/recycling area.
- Performs minor repairs and parts replacement on grounds equipment and machinery.
- Moves furniture, equipment, and materials
- Assists in the protection of residents and staff by completing assigned safety and preventative maintenance inspections of various building areas, and systems located throughout the facility.
- Maintains an inventory of regularly used parts and equipment, by following established purchase and reorder protocols.
- Ensures all records and documentation are prepared and reported on in a timely manner.
- Watch external contractors as is able.
- Advises supervisor of any problems regarding building, systems or equipment.
- Sets up and restores meeting and function rooms.
- Repairs and advises department staff on workability of assigned equipment (e.g. vacuum cleaners, kitchen equipment).
- Maintains cleanliness of work area on a daily basis.
- On a monthly basis does extensive cleaning of the maintenance shop; checks on fire extinguishers; filter change outs; tests emergency lighting packs.
- Must have the ability to troubleshoot plumbing, electrical (regular and low voltage) and mechanical problems.
- Must have an understanding of small appliances such as fridges, stoves, washers and dryers.
- Must have a working knowledge of metal fabrication and understand the principles of Mig welding.
- Must have a working knowledge of HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning).
- Must be able to complete preventatives maintenance inspections on both large and small pieces of equipment.
- Must be able to manage time effectively in order to complete service orders and other duties on a timely basis.
- Daily checks general shipping area and delivers boxes to appropriate location. Checks packing slip to ensure quantities and submits to the Reception Desk.
- Promote a safe environment for residents, team and self.
- Report unsafe conditions within the work environment. Take required action to decrease the risk of injury immediately and/or notifies the Maintenance Supervisor of the concern.
- Avoid unsafe work practices and provide feedback and support promptly to team members involved in unsafe working practices.
- Utilize the reporting process for Employee Injury and Hazardous conditions and resident unusual incidents.
- Actively participates in fire drills and understands fire, WHMIS, Musculo- skeletal injury prevention, and general safety procedures.
Performs duties and operates tools and equipment in a safe manner. Follows all guidelines and procedures concerning safe work practices, isolation, lockout and the use of personal protective equipment.
- Demonstrate knowledge of and adhere to infection control policies and procedures.
- Be accountable for personal education and development.
- Actively participate in meetings, and in services.
- Identify ongoing learning needs for self to Education and Staff Development Coordinator and Maintenance Supervisor as appropriate.
- Attend relevant workshops, seminars and conferences and apply learning to workplace.
- Demonstrates commitment to learning new skills, methods and ideas, and to broaden experience through work on projects and committees.
- Attends mandatory training and education programs as required.
- Participates in the “on call” roster.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Completion of Grade 12 education or recognized equivalent, and Building Operators “B” certificate or equivalent is desirable.
- Certificate in Workplace Hazardous Materials Information Systems course is preferred.
- CPR Certificate is preferred.
- Drivers License Class 5.
Apply by completing application and uploading cover letter/resume. We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. In addition, completion of a Vulnerable Sector Check will be required prior to hiring.