Executive Director, Communications
Status: Open | Site: Edmonton Region - Edmonton, AB | Department: Management | Closing Date: Feb 7, 2020
About Shepherd’s Care Foundation
Shepherd’s Care Foundation (SCF) is a faith-based, not-for-profit organization providing quality care and accommodations to more than 1,800 seniors throughout Edmonton and Barrhead. Our seven campuses provide living options for a full spectrum of care, including independent living, supportive living, supportive living with dementia, long-term care and complex care.
At SCF, person-centered care is the foundation for all we do. All persons are to be treated with dignity and respect in every interaction. Working for SCF requires the highest standards of personal behavior and ethics, and it is an on-going condition of employment that our Code of Conduct and Behaviour Standards, are always complied with.
About our Executive Director, Communications Opportunity
The Executive Directory, Communications is a new role for SCF, reporting to the President & CEO. The position guides the development of communication and marketing plans that support the vision, mission and values of SCF. Working under CEO direction, the incumbent identifies and prioritizes key messages and selects appropriate communication mediums to adequately inform identified audiences.
The Executive Director, Communications is responsible for enhancing the corporate and public image of the Foundation, monitoring public confidence in the Foundation, and addressing reputation risks through issues management. The position builds and maintains effective working relationships with media and community partners and serves as the main communications liaison for SCF.
- Provides communication advice and leadership in building the SCF capabilities in the areas of corporate branding, media, government, stakeholder and employee relations.
- Implements standardized operational procedures and processes to create consistency in brand experience.
- Builds brand awareness and visibility within the broader Christian community in new and existing geographic regions.
- Provides advice and counsel to the President & CEO, our Board of Directors, the Strategic Leadership Team (SLT), Directors, Managers, and staff in identifying opportunities and mediums for distribution of key messaging including program and service awareness to targeted audiences.
- Ensures sound financial stewardship of financial resources allotted to the Department through wise, effective, and creative use.
- As approved by SLT, develops and implements an annual comprehensive Strategic Communications Plan with updated marketing and communications materials to communicate consistent positioning, messaging and identity.
- Responsible for generating SCF correspondence including but not limited to annual reports, monthly newsletters, presentations, internal reports, memos to stakeholders and other communication documents as requested by the President & CEO.
- Responsible for the development and publication of corporate print, electronic, digital, and online/social media messages and mediums for all targeted audiences.
- Acts as primary liaison with media partners, handling news releases, editorials, advisories, advertising and related media management functions. Works with CEO and executive management to develop key messages and respond to stakeholder requests.
- Serves as the SCF Communications Officer in emergency operations.
- Provides overall leadership and direction for the Community Relations department including fundraising events and related activities.
- Ensures that corporate and community relations messaging is consistent and supports the vision, mission and values of SCF.
- Masters Degree in Communications is an asset
- Minimum 5 years communication experience
- Advanced information technology skills, including MS Office Suite
- Experienced in the use of video, podcast and other broadcast media
- Proven ability to architect communications strategy as well as tactical delivery.
- Experience advising, coaching and supporting management with interpretation, understanding and application of media relations.
SKILLS and ATTRIBUTES
- A leader who inspires others to achieve their best. Leads by example and models the behaviors as articulated in SCF’s “Living Excellence” thereby supporting our residents and upholding the principles of person-centered care.
- Demonstrates sensitivity and dedication to the organizational values held by the Shepherd’s Care Foundation.
- Cultivates an innovation mindset at all levels of the organization
- Excellent planning skills and demonstrated achievement of objectives.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written; presents well on a one-to-one basis and in front of groups (internal and external); excellent listening skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; the ability to deal with a wide range of individuals tactfully and diplomatically.
- Experience in presenting, explaining and discussing complex information.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment.
- Passionate professional with a strong achievement orientation.
- Well-developed organizational and planning skills; logical, realistic and practical.
- Vision; ability to look at the “big” picture.
- A “winning” attitude and a positive, professional and enthusiastic approach.
- A “doer” attitude, someone who takes a high degree of initiative.
- Creative and innovative; quick and forward thinking; proactive.
- Ability to contribute to a team environment. Flexible, independent and confident.
- Readily accepts and works with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Works efficiently under pressure and maintains priorities with constantly changing deadlines and unexpected or unplanned events.
- Thinks outside the box, catalyst for change.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain a Vulnerable Sector check with the City of Edmonton Police detachment as well as provide proof of education and credentials.
To apply, please completing the online application provided with this opportunity and upload your cover letter/resume.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Shepherd’s Care Foundation is "Living Life in a Caring, Christian Environment"