Status: Open | Site: Barrhead - Barrhead, AB | Department: Administration | Closing Date: May 24, 2019
Operating out of our Barrhead Campus and reporting to the Site Administrator, the Transportation Driver provides safe and reliable transportation for all Shepherd’s Care Foundation Residents, companions and staff for all outings and events, as requested by the Site Administrator or department. In this casual role, the Transportation Driver supports and advocates for Residents to ensure the highest quality of person-centered care achievable within the Mission, Vision, Values and Behavior Standards of Shepherd’s Care Foundation. Demonstrating ongoing competence utilizing knowledge, skill, judgment and evidence-based practice in caring for the older adults, the Transportation Driver ensures compliance with all standards as outlined by the Ministry of Transportation, employment and safety-related statutes, legislation, codes and regulations and SCF policies.
- Performs pre-trip inspection to prepare the vehicle for travel to maintain proper maintenance and safety.
- Performs post-trip inspection following an event or outing as per SCF checklist.
- Performs site preparation procedures to set up the vehicle for operation upon arrival at destination.
- Safely operates a 25-foot lift-equipped transit vehicle, in high-density traffic, in all weather conditions.
- Performs cold weather storage procedure.
- Performs fueling and refueling of the van before and after events.
- Checks and ensures all fluid levels and tire pressure is at the required levels for safe operation.
- Is responsible for communicating any maintenance needs to Recreational Therapist or other designee.
- Communicates with Recreational Therapist to confirm changes, additions, or deletions from route schedule.
- Is responsible for the thorough cleaning of the unit including: emptying the trash, sweeping the floor and wipe down of all surfaces following each outing or event.
- Engages and participates on all outings with residents in, but is not limited to, assisting with shopping bags, gathering information from professionals, if needed, assisting residents in and out of vehicle.
- Participates with all team members to keep all log books updated.
- Maintains strict confidentiality of all resident information and of conversations held.
- Must hold an excellent driving record.
- Must hold a valid Class 4 Driver’s License.
- Holds an acceptable driver abstract with no less than 3 demerits.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience driving a multi passenger vehicle is required.
- Able to lift wheelchair and walker in to the vehicle up to 30 lbs. (pounds).
- Experience in working with seniors and/or individual with dementia is an asset.
- Effective ability to communicate well in English, orally and in writing.
- Patience, understanding and ability to perceive and asses the demands and requests of the residents, management and staff.
- Be available to work on a calendar rotation schedule is required.
- First Aid/CPR certification considered an asset.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain a Vulnerable Sector check with the City of Edmonton Police detachment and provide proof of license.
Submit resume online via this posting. Apply by completing application and uploading cover letter/resume. Vulnerable Sector Check must be completed prior to start date. We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Shepherd’s Care Foundation is "Dedicated to the Celebration of Life in a Caring, Christian Environment"